1/1 Photo of Southwestern Bean Soup With Cornmeal Dumplings
10 hrs 15 mins
Crafty Lady 13's Note:
I altered this recipe from my Fix - It and Forget - It cookbook. Yummy bean soup with a southwestern twist that is made in your slow cooker. The cornmeal dumplings is a wonderful addition to this soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans or 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can pinto beans or 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 3 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules or 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules or 2 tablespoons vegetable bouillon granules
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1Combine 11 soup ingredients in slow cooker.
- 2Cover and cook on low 10 - 12 hours or high 4 - 5 hours.
- 3Make cumplings by mixing together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- 4Combine egg white, milk and oil. Add to flour mixture. Stir with fork until just combined.
- 5At the end of the soup's cooking time, turn slow cooker to high. Drop dumplings by rounded teaspoonfuls to make 8 mounsd atop the soup.
- 6Cover and cook for 30 minutes (do not lift cover).
- 7Serve topped with your choice(s) of sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and crushed tortilla chips.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwestern Bean Soup With Cornmeal Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (716 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 559.9
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 21.6 mg
- Sodium 622.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 94.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 22.2 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 33.6 g