These are delicious bean cakes made out of white beans with a bit of a southwestern flavor. They can be served with some yummy salsa and a good leafy salad, or even put on a tostada shell with some other toppings of your choice. This is also a vegan recipe, as long as you make sure the vegetable broth does not contain chicken (as many usually do).
My Private Note
bean ca ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons cilantro leaves, minced
- 1 small jalapeno chile, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 cup cornmeal (or more)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Place the beans, broth, and lime juice in a large bowl. Use a potato masher to mash the mixture into a course puree. Stir in the cilantro, chile, chili powder, and salt and pepper to taste.
- 2Stir in 1/4 cup cornmeal. If the mixture is too sticky to handle, stir in more cornmeal until you can shape the mixture with your hands.
- 3Shape the mixture into eight 3-inch cakes.
- 4Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the bean cakes and cook until nicely browned, about 4 minutes. Carefully turn the cakes and drizzle the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil around the edges of the pan. Continue cooking until the bean cakes are nicely browned on the se4cond side, about 3 minutes. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwestern Bean Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (242 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 372.9
- Calories from Fat 101
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 27.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.3 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 16.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: