Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an oldie but goodie. I cut this recipe out of Gourmet Magazine at least 10years ago. I have changed some of the amounts of ingredients to suit my family's taste. I have since served it many times for large parties or buffets. It is great to make the night before, and reheat in a crock pot. Then keep this in the crockpot heated throughout the party. It gets raves and I cannot even count how many times I given out the recipe. You can adjust the red pepper flakes and honey to suit your taste. And the recipe can easily be doubled.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon parsley, minced
- 6 hamburger buns, toasted
- In a pot, place chicken. Fill with water until chicken is covered by 2 inches. Bring to boil and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Shred chicken into small pieces; set aside.
- In a large pot heat oil. Add garlic and onion and sauté until tender.
- Add ketchup, water, lemon juice, honey, horseradish, cumin, red pepper flakes, all spice and parsley to onion mixture. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken and simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- Serve on hamburger buns.