Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
i don't know where this recipe came from, i had it scribbled on paper. but it is a nice side dish to any grilled steak. prep time doesn't include time for cooking the barley
- 3 cups cooked barley
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn
- 1 1⁄2 cups plum tomatoes, chopped and seeded
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro or 1⁄4 cup basil
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, sliced
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice or 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- mix the first 6 ingredients together in a large bowl, season with salt& pepper mix the dressing ingredients together, pour over salad.
- serve at room temperature.
Excellent combination of flavors and textures. I grilled fresh corn on the cob in the husk, and cooked the barley in chicken broth. There was a little broth left when the barley was done, so I omitted the water in the dressing - also added a little more chili powder after tasting. I used halved cherry tomatoes instead of the plum tomatoes. I like the light dressing, and the colors of the veggies with the barley and beans makes a nice presentation. I'm sure I'll be making this often.
Great, easy-to-make and different salad--perfect with the fish we had for dinner. I made one subsitution in this recipe--I used kidney beans instead of black beans--it was still delicious but next time I make it I will use black beans.
This was very good, but I changed it quite a bit. I added a jalepeno and I sauteed the veggies first in a little bit of the dressing, as I wanted it a little warm and cooked.