Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This all-purpose sauce can deliciously replace all your store-bought sauces.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 shallots or 1 small onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 19 ounces stewed tomatoes, chopped (one can)
- 5 1⁄2 ounces tomato paste (one can)
- 2⁄3 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup molasses (fancy grade)
- In saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook shallot, garlic, paprika, chili powder, salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegar, green bell pepper, sugar and mustard; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened and reduced by about 1/3, about 20 minutes. Let it cool! Pour into a blender; puree until smooth. Add molasses, blend well.
- * Tip - refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
- This makes about 4 cups. Brush on during the last few minutes of grilling or serve it on the side for dipping. Use 1 cup for every 4 servings of meat, poultry or fish.
Mmmm. I really like this. It's quite different to the commercial bbq sauces that I'm used to but that's great. It has a little bit of heat (a lovely tingle) that I like but I know others in my family will find too much. More for me! Easy to make. Made for Aussie Recipe Swap #20.