Recipe by Michelle Berteig
From a free Penzey's recipe card...
Top Review by Crafty Lady 13
Made for PAC Spring, 2008. Very good white chili recipe. I increased the chicken broth and let it simmer a little longer. I did use the fresh cilantro but put in a little less than 1/4 cup. I then topped it with a 4-cheese Mexican blend and a little sour cream. The next time I make it I am going to increase the spices. Thanks for sharing, Michelle.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth (or more, as needed)
- 4 ounces chopped green chilies (1 small can)
- 19 ounces white cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (1 can)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- grated cheese (optional)
- chopped scallion (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix spices in a small bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a 3 quart pan. Add chicken cubes and cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring, until no longer pink. Remove chicken and juices to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the rest of the olive oil to the pan and saute onions until soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, chilies and spices. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and beans. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. If desired, stir in fresh cilantro and garnish with cheese and scallions.