Recipe by live_2_dream
South Beach Diet Phase 1
Top Review by MARCIAC
this is the same recipe as listed on McCormick's site, I use about 4-5 cups of cubed chicken sauteed in the onions from the beginning, I always triple the spices and green chilis, at least 2 cans of beans and broth to your taste and thickness, This is soooooooooo good!!! I have been making this for years. Enjoy!!
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cilantro leaf
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes*
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1 (15 ounce) can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed (Cannellini)
- shredded low-fat monterey jack cheese
- sliced green onion (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine garlic powder, cumin, oregano, cilantro, and red pepper in a small dish and stir until well blended. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken cubes and stir-fry from 5 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Add onions and continue cooking for a few minutes, until onion is translucent. Stir in chicken broth, chilies, and spices. Simmer over low heat 15 minutes.
- Stir in beans and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. If soup is too thick, add 1/2 cup to 1 cup water to desired consistency. Pour into serving bowls and top with cheese and sliced green onions.