Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Lime juice, cumin and cilantro are a magical zesty combination. Grilled chicken breast, ground beef or fried eggs go great over this. Use vegetable bouillon cube for Vegetarian.
- 236.59 ml brown rice
- 532.32 ml water
- 1 chicken bouillon cubes or 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 113.39 g can diced green chilies, drained
- 453.59 g chunky salsa, jarred
- 425.24 g can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 236.59 ml frozen corn kernels
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 78.07 ml fresh lime juice
- 14.79 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 9.85 ml ground cumin
- salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste (I used 1 tsp sea salt, 1/8 tsp pepper)
- jalapeno, to taste I used 1tbsp canned (optional)
- 59.14 ml cilantro, chopped
- 1-2 bunch green onion, sliced greens and whites
- fresh tomato, chopped
- avocado, diced (optional)
- cheese, shredded
- sour cream, to serve
- grilled chicken breasts or ground beef or fried egg
- In a small pot, stir together rice, water and bouillon cube. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 45 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, stir together bell pepper, carrot, garlic, diced green chilies and salsa and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add black beans, corn and zucchini and simmer until zucchini is crisp tender. Remove from heat.
- Stir together dressing ingredients and stir into veggie mix.
- Divide rice into 6 bowls. Ladle veggies over rice and add toppings if desired.
- Alternatively, you can stir the rice into the veggie mix.
- Good hot, warm or cold.
The Southwest veggies and the lemon-cilantro brown rice give an excellent flavor to this dish. We stir the veggies in the rice, served it with grilled chicken breasts and added diced avocado and sour cream on top. It is healthy and delicious. Good idea Chef, and good luck in the contest.
Definately one fantastic side dish, though I supposed this could be a meal in itself. Anyway very flavorful indeed, the cooking time was right on the money, as the wonderful combination of ingredients. For the topping I used onion, tomato, the shredded cheese sour cream, and grilled chicken breasts, as suggested. Also used the chicken bouillon cube as a choice. Definately will keep this recipe and repeat. I would not change a thing as to subsitute ingredients. Much good luck to in the contest. Made for Summer Dining on a Dollar.