1 hr 10 mins
Lime juice, cumin and cilantro are a magical zesty combination. Grilled chicken breast, ground beef or fried eggs go great over this. Use vegetable bouillon cube for Vegetarian.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon cubes or 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, drained
- 16 ounces chunky salsa, jarred
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste (I used 1 tsp sea salt, 1/8 tsp pepper)
- jalapeno, to taste I used 1tbsp canned (optional)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1In a small pot, stir together rice, water and bouillon cube. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 45 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- 2In a large skillet, over medium heat, stir together bell pepper, carrot, garlic, diced green chilies and salsa and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- 3Add black beans, corn and zucchini and simmer until zucchini is crisp tender. Remove from heat.
- 4Stir together dressing ingredients and stir into veggie mix.
- 5Divide rice into 6 bowls. Ladle veggies over rice and add toppings if desired.
- 6Alternatively, you can stir the rice into the veggie mix.
- 7Good hot, warm or cold.
Browse Our Top Southwestern U.S. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Southwestern U.S. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwest Veggies over Brown Rice
Serving Size: 1 (463 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 313.4
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 861.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.1 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 11.8 g