Recipe by Engrossed
Lime juice, cumin and cilantro are a magical zesty combination. Grilled chicken breast, ground beef or fried eggs go great over this. Use vegetable bouillon cube for Vegetarian.
Top Review by pink cook
The Southwest veggies and the lemon-cilantro brown rice give an excellent flavor to this dish. We stir the veggies in the rice, served it with grilled chicken breasts and added diced avocado and sour cream on top. It is healthy and delicious. Good idea Chef, and good luck in the contest.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon cubes or 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, drained
- 16 ounces chunky salsa, jarred
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste (I used 1 tsp sea salt, 1/8 tsp pepper)
- jalapeno, to taste I used 1tbsp canned (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 -2 bunch green onion, sliced greens and whites
- fresh tomato, chopped
- avocado, diced (optional)
- cheese, shredded
- sour cream, to serve
- grilled chicken breasts or ground beef or fried egg
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small pot, stir together rice, water and bouillon cube. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 45 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, stir together bell pepper, carrot, garlic, diced green chilies and salsa and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add black beans, corn and zucchini and simmer until zucchini is crisp tender. Remove from heat.
- Stir together dressing ingredients and stir into veggie mix.
- Divide rice into 6 bowls. Ladle veggies over rice and add toppings if desired.
- Alternatively, you can stir the rice into the veggie mix.
- Good hot, warm or cold.