Recipe by cookingfor1
Just finished this for supper after making it for the first time. It was warm and comforting with just the right amount of heat. Very filling - didn't even miss the meat! I made and baked in advance and then froze until I was ready to serve it. Yummy! Adapted from the Taste of Home Casseroles, Slow Cooker and Soups. 5.5 points per 1/8 of casserole.
- 3⁄4 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 15 ounces kidney beans, rinsed
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes
- 3 ounces diced green chilies
- 8 ounces corn, drained
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 cups Mexican blend cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, bring rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the bean, corn, tomatoes, chilies, salsa, sour cream, 1 cup of the cheese, pepper and rice.
- Transfer to a shallow baking dish coated with non-stick spray. Sprinkle with onions and cilantro.
- Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with remaining cup of cheese and continue baking for another 10 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Note: I didn't have the patience to wait for the rice to cook so I increased the water by 1/2 cup and the rice cooked in the oven.