Recipe by SweetySJD
This is a good hearty winter meal. It can easily be made healthier by using low fat sour cream and cheese.
Top Review by Aunt Jane
Just served this for my mom's 95th birthday and we were all very pleased. I had just read that nonfat Greek yogurt is a great substitute for sour cream, so I made that switch. Worked great. Thanks so much for sharing!
- 3⁄4 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (11 ounce) can mexicorn, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can black olives, sliced, drained
- 1 cup Mexican blend cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, bring rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes, until tender.
- In a bowl, combine beans, corn, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, cheddar, pepper and rice. Transfer to a 2 1/2 quart baking dish coated with nonstick spray. Sprinkle onions and olives over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350°F for 30 minutes. Sprinkle Mexican cheese over top. Bake 5-10 minutes longer, until cheese is melted.
- Let stand 10 minutes.