Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a good hearty winter meal. It can easily be made healthier by using low fat sour cream and cheese.
- 3⁄4 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (11 ounce) can mexicorn, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can black olives, sliced, drained
- 1 cup Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- In a large saucepan, bring rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes, until tender.
- In a bowl, combine beans, corn, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, cheddar, pepper and rice. Transfer to a 2 1/2 quart baking dish coated with nonstick spray. Sprinkle onions and olives over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350°F for 30 minutes. Sprinkle Mexican cheese over top. Bake 5-10 minutes longer, until cheese is melted.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
My daughter just had a baby and I am staying with her this week. I have been cooking and trying out new recipes each night. My son in law is trying to watch his cholesterol and I wanted to try this since it had no meat. We all loved it! We did leave out the black olives, and the store did not have mexicorn (I just used the niblets corn). I served it with a spinach and fruit salad and cornbread. We were all full and I will make this again when I get home for my DH.
This was fantastic! My family loved it, especially my 11 yr. old who ate almost 1/2 the recipe all by himself! After we all left the table with happy tummy's he kept going back for more! I didn't have any rotel tomatoes, so I added regular diced tomatoes and a 4 oz can of diced green chili's. I also cut the sour cream in half and cut the Mexican cheese blend in half as well. We don't like olives so I just left those out and topped with fresh cilantro right before serving. My DH, oldest son and I all added a bit of taco sauce to ours just to spice it up. Served this with some tortilla chips and we were all really happy!
Excellent! I'd give it more stars if I could. I only made a few changes for personal preference. I cooked the rice in vegetable broth for more flavor, I used yellow onions instead or red and green olives instead of black. This one is going into my cookbook as a regular! Thanks!