Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is more of a bread pudding that cuts like a loaf.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons softened butter
- 8 slices firm white bread
- 1 (12 ounce) can solid white tuna packed in water, drained and flaked
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1⁄3 cup diced pimento
- Preheat oven to 350°; use about ½ tablespoon butter to grease a shallow 2-quart baking pan.
- Spread the remaining butter on both sides of the bread, then break the bread into large chunks and place in a single layer, close together, in the baking pan.
- Sprinkle the tuna over the bread.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, Worcestershire, hot pepper sauce, and mustard.
- Stir in the cheese and pimento; pour the mixture over the bread and tuna, pushing the bread slices into the liquid to absorb it.
- Bake 35-45 minutes until the loaf is puffed and golden; serve immediately.