Recipe by QueenJellyBean
A Pampered Chef recipe with an easy cornmeal crust.
Top Review by Olive*
This was quick and easy to make. I added a bit of chili powder to the cornbread mixture for a little more flavor to the crust. I also used shredded Mexican blend cheese instead of colby-jack. This makes a very delicious meal that can be suited to individual tastes. Thanks for posting this recipe, QueenJellyBean!
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal, plus
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal, divided
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1 cup colby-monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup lettuce, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sliced olive
- sour cream (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Lightly spray 9" pie plate with non stick spray.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp cornmeal evenly onto bottom and sides of prepared pie plate.
- For crust; combine 1/4 c cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. Add milk and oil; stir with fork until mixture forms a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out dough to a 10 inch circle.
- Place in prepared pie plate; shape edge to form rim.
- For filling; cook and stir ground beef over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink; drain. Stir in salsa.
- Spoon beef mixture into pie crust; sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Top pie with lettuce, tomato and olives. Garnish with sour cream and additonal salsa if desired.