Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
... or at least the taste of summer. Make this with home-grown zucchini, corn, peppers, and onions. Or use frozen corn and other store-bought veggies. This skillet meal is healthy and comfort food all in one. This is my own creation, developed and modified over the past several summers. I hope you enjoy.
- 3 cups penne pasta, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 4 cups zucchini, sliced or cubed
- 2 cups tomatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, washed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- chili pepper flakes (optional, to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup cream cheese
- Cook penne (or your favorite pasta) according to package directions. Drain.
- Heat olive oil in a large 14-inch skillet. Brown ground beef with garlic, onion, and pepper.
- Add tomatoes and zucchini and simmer for 2-3 minutes until zucchini is almost tender.
- Add corn, black beans, salt, pepper, and chili powder.
- Dissolve cornstarch in cold water and then add to the skillet, stirring constantly until liquid returns to a simmer and thickens, about 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low setting. Stir in cream cheese until melted.
- Add cooked, drained penne and stir until heated through. Taste and add more seasonings, if desired.