Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 15 mins
Although the recipe calls for Ground Turkey or Chicken, this is sure to be good with ground beef as well. From the London Free Press.
- 2 slice bacon, diced
- 1 medium cooking onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 4.92 ml chili powder
- 4.92 ml oregano
- 4.92 ml salt
- 29.58 ml hot sauce (i.e.: Tabasco, chipotles hot sauce recommended)
- 78.07 ml hot salsa
- 680.38 g ground chicken or 680.38 g ground turkey
- 118.29 ml breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 236.59 ml grated monterey jack cheese or 236.59 ml cheddar cheese
- Cook the bacon in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, until golden.
- Add onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic.
- Cook until the onion is soft.
- Stir in chili powder, oregano, salt and hot sauce.
- In a medium bowl, combine contents of skillet with the salsa, ground meat, breadcrumbs and egg.
- Spoon mixture in large loaf pan.
- Place in preheated 350 F oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and return to oven until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven let stand for at least 10 minutes.
- Serve with Salsa and sour cream on the side.
The flavour was quite good, if a little salty. But the texture left a lot to be desired. My husband described it as "cat food pate." I think it would be much better with ground beef, or a mixture of ground beef, pork and veal, rather than with ground chicken.
I was really surprised how tasty this was as it was my first ground turkey meatloaf ( I used breast). I topped it with 2% fat Mexican blend cheese. Taking my leftovers for lunch
Very good meatloaf which we made with ground turkey - next time I may try turkey and beef together, just for a change. I left out the green pepper (I was out) and used medium green salsa and cheddar cheese. Thanks for a great and easy meatloaf recipe!