Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Sliced potatoes, layered with Pepper Jack cheese, chili peppers and corn.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄3 lbs potatoes, unpeeled,sliced 1/8 inch thick (4 medium)
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 (7 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup milk
- Spread butter on bottom of 10 or 12-inch non-stick skillet, layer half the potato slices on bottom.
- Layer half the cheese, chiles, corn, flour, salt and pepper on potatoes.
- Repeat layers, ending with salt and pepper.
- Pour milk over all.
- Bring to simmer over high heat, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook until potato slices are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Uncover and cook 5 minutes longer.
I wasn't sure about this, since I've never done scalloped potatoes on the stovetop, but they were great! The green chiles and corn were nice additions. We enjoyed the "bite" from the pepper cheese. This is a winner!
Another winner from Lorac! I had never tried scalloped potatoes cooked on the stovetop but it was great. The chilies and corn gave it lots of colour and added zing. Wouldn't change a thing. I might try adding some salsa next time for added colour but it is great as it is. Try it-you will thoroughly enjoy comfort food with a bit of a kick. Thanks again Lorac.
Super tasting. It has a, can't put your finger on it , reason it is addictive. Each yummy bite has softness, creaminess and a slight kick. I made it for kids and adults and every morsel was eaten. No pictures as it was long gone. The Monterey jack cheese was nice as was the green chilis. I doubled the recipe but didn't use separate pans so it took longer but was my fault. Next time I will double in separate pans. No problem we ate the bottom layer and let the top cook more. Delicious. We will make again for sure. Thanks for posting Lorac. Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup. Enjoy! ChefDLH