Recipe by Celeste :)
This dish may sound complicated at first, but don't let it fool you. It's easy to make, yet elegant to serve. If you can roll up a cake jelly-roll style or form the dough for cinnamon rolls, you can make this. In this recipe, you roll a cooked egg mixture instead of a cake or dough. The filling is made from cooked, savory vegetables.
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons unbleached flour or 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 10 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces bulk turkey ham, chopped (not slices)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (2 oz.)
- 1 1⁄2 cups salsa
Directions See How It's Made
- TO MAKE THE SOUFFLE: Preheat oven to 400*. Coat a 15x10" baking dish with nonstick spray. Line with waxed paper, then coat the waxed paper with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer set on high speed, beat the egg yolks for 5 minutes, or until thickened and lemon colored. Reduce the speed to medium and beat in the flour and salt. When incorporated, beat in the milk.
- In a large, clean bowl, beat the egg whites on high speed with clean, dry beaters until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and beat until stiff peaks form when the beaters are lifted. Fold in the yolk mixture. Spread into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden. Cool on a rack for 5 minutes.
- TO MAKE THE FILLING: Meanwhile, coat a large skillet with nonstick spray and warm over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes, peppers, onion, oregano, and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes, or until tender. Stir in the turkey ham and remove from heat.
- Carefully invert the warm souffle onto a clean kitchen towel. Peel off the waxed paper. Top evenly with the filling. Sprinkle with the cheese. Beginning at a short end, roll up, jelly-roll style. Place, seam side down, on a serving plate. Serve warm or at room temperature Cut into 8 slices and serve with salsa.