Recipe by Epi Curious
From Cooking Light, April 2009. Great with quesadillas.
Top Review by AmyZoe
I found this at myrecipes.com, and I used half and half instead of reduced-fat milk. The hashbrowns are the key to this recipe. I absolutely loved this and was disappointed when it was gone. Thanks for posting this great recipe!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons serrano chilies, finely chopped (about one small)
- 4 1⁄2 ounces chopped green chilies, undrained
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen southern style hash brown potatoes, diced, thawed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 12 1⁄4 ounces whole mexicorn whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 lb small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions, bell pepper and serrano chile to pan; saute' 2 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add canned chiles to pan; cook 1 minute. Add flour to pan; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in milk and next 5 ingredients (through corn); bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes or until slightly thick. Stir in shrimp; cook 1 minute or until shrimp are done. Remove from heat; stir in cilantro.