1/2 Photos of Southwest Shepherd's Pie (Low Fat)
1 hr 35 mins
This is just what you are looking for when you feel like cooking something on a dreary, cold and maybe wet day. The recipe is a make ahead but I have always baked it when made. Prep time includes 20 mins to boil the potatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1/2 lb button mushroom, cleaned and sliced
- 1 lb extra lean ground sirloin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup canned fat free low-sodium beef broth (240 ml)
- 1/3 cup dry red wine or 1/3 cup additional beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (30 ml)
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 lb russet potato, peeled and cut into chunks (480 g)
- 3 -4 tablespoons skim milk (45 to 60 ml)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced pickled jalapeno pepper, to taste (15 to 30 ml)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro or 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced scallion (15 ml)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika (1.25 ml)
- 3 tablespoons shredded 2% low-fat monterey jack cheese (30 g)
- 1In a large nonstick skillet, sauté onion, garlic, carrot, and mushrooms over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are wilted and pan liquids are absorbed, about 6 minutes.
- 2Crumble in the ground sirloin and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until beef is well browned, about 5 minutes. Drain off any excess fat.
- 3Add oregano, thyme, cumin, and pepper. Sprinkle flour over the beef mixture and stir. Add beef broth, wine, and tomato paste. Stir until well combined.
- 4Line a 2-quart (2 l) casserole with a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil large enough to completely enclose the casserole. Lightly spray the foil inside the casserole with cooking spray.
- 5Transfer meat mixture to the prepared casserole. Set aside while you prepare the topping.
- 6Place the potatoes in a pot of boiling water to cover. Reduce heat and simmer until tender when pierced with a fork, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain.
- 7Mash the potatoes, adding sufficient skim milk until the potatoes are fluffy. Stir in the salt (if using), minced jalapeño chiles, cilantro, and scallion. Spoon the potato mixture onto the top of the meat mixture, making swirls with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle with paprika and cheese.
- 8Cover the casserole and freeze until solid. Lift the food out of the casserole (the foil will adhere), wrap securely in the foil, then slip the package into a self-sealing plastic freezer bag or overwrap in additional foil or freezer paper. Label with the casserole name and the date. Use within 3 months.
- 9When ready to bake, unwrap the casserole and place back in the casserole dish to bake. Defrost completely. Then bake at 375°F (190°C) for 40 to 45 minutes, until golden and bubbly. (Since the casserole will be full, it may bubble over, so place a sheet of aluminum foil under the casserole to catch any drips.) Serve hot.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwest Shepherd's Pie (Low Fat)
Serving Size: 1 (276 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 269.9
- Calories from Fat 96
- Total Fat 10.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 59.1 mg
- Sodium 144.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 20.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fat free low-sodium beef broth