Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Tasty breakfast casserole that can be made the night before. Great when you have company coming!
- 3 (4 ounce) canschopped green chilies
- 12 corn tortillas, cut in 1 inch strips
- 1 1⁄2 lbs hot Italian sausage (or chorizo)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 8 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 -10 slices tomatoes, thin (optional)
- Fry sausage and drain.
- Add onions and pepper; saute about 5 minutes.
- Combine eggs, milk and spices.
- Grease 13" X 9" pan.
- Line bottom with half of tortilla strips, then sausage, chiles, and Jack cheese.
- Repeat second layer, ending with cheese.
- Pour egg mixture over top of casserole.
- You can add 8-10 thin tomato slices on top.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes.
- You can make this the night before and put in refrigerator.
Fantastic! We had this yesterday and its a new favorite!!!! We left out the onions and green peppers.
Yummy! Made this the night before for Christmas morning. Wonderful with fresh fruit and salsa on the side. Used Recipe #25846 with good results. Definitely more personality than the plain old breakfast casserole. This wasn't particularly moist, not very eggy. If that's what you're looking for, I'd suggest reducing the amount of tortillas or increasing the egg mixture. We liked it very well as is, and enjoyed the leftovers as well. Thanks for sharing the recipe!