Recipe by Lorac
Roasted corn, black beans, fried tortilla strips and a red "hot" pepper mayonnaise based dressing gives this salad a special Southwest flair. A main dish lunch or summer dinner salad that would also be wonderful with grilled shrimp or sliced steak. This salad is sensational served on a platter with grilled corn bread fingers - and don't forget the Corona!
Top Review by Geema
I love this salad! All the components are interesting and different. The red pepper mayo will be great on other salads and sandwiches and I'm hooked on it. I had a great time roasting the corn and loved the nutty flavor that was produced. I'll be using that technique again and again. A fun recipe.
- 1 head romaine lettuce, torn in bite size pieces
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into quarters then thinly sliced
- 2 small avocados, peeeled,pitted and sliced (medium firm not soft)
- 1 cup roasted corn
- 2 cups grilled or roasted chicken, cut into chunks
- 1 cup fried corn tortilla, cut strips
- 1 -2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Salad: Toss lettuce and red cabbage in a large salad bowl.
- Sprinkle with black beans.
- Place red pepper and avacado in circles around the edges of the bowl and sprinkle the center with roasted corn* (see note).
- Mound chicken in the center of the salad and top with the cheese.
- Top with tortilla strips** (see note) just before serving.
- *For roasted corn: Slice kernals off 1 large ear, place on a baking sheet in a 450°F oven, stirring ocasionally until golden.
- **For tortilla strips: Cut a medium size corn tortilla into quarters and then into 1/4 inch strips, fry over medium heat in a lightly oiled skillet until lightly browned and crisp.
- Mayo: Place all ingredients in a bowl, whisk together and chill.