This healthy salad has lots of taste and eye appeal. Add more or less jalapenos to suit your own heat preference. Most people like it this way and I serve some hot sauce on the side for the heat lovers.
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (12 ounce) can white corn, drained
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice (3-4 limes)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 2 -3 pickled jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 ripe tomato, chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, beans, corn and onions.
- Toss to mix.
- In a food processor, blend remaining ingredients, except the cilantro and tomatoes, until the peppers are finely minced.
- Pour the dressing over the rice mixture and mix well.
- Garnish with the cilantro and chopped tomatoes.
- This salad can be made 1-2 days in advance and served either cold or room temperature.
Wow, what a great tasting salad. I wasn't too sure about the brown sugar, but I made this exactly as directed. I only had fresh jalapeño, so I used a little trick of poaching them in a little water until they softenend, then used them like the pickled jalapeños. Everything was wonderful, and we enjoyed this recipe very much. Thanks so much for sharing.
Very good recipe. I didn't have green onions, so I used red. Also added some red and green peppers from my garden as I thought it needed more color. It was great! I didn't even use the jalapeno, but I could see where the taste would improve with it. Thanks for the recipe!
I needed a quick pitch in dinner salad and this was great. I had to use what I had available - so that meant kidney beans, not black beans and regular onions, not green onions. I used basil olive oil and jalapeno balsamic vinegar as well. It was really good.