Recipe by Motley Oklahoman
One of my sister's favorite dishes.
Top Review by rpgaymer
These are truly delicious and just overflowing with flavor. I liked the avocado cream, although next time I'll use about half the amount of lime juice as it was a bit overpowering (or maybe I just had a really juicy lime). Great recipe- thanks for sharing!
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked quinoa, chilled
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups black beans
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried chipotle powder (or regular chili powder)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (or Monterrey jack)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided (or butter)
- 1 avocado, coarsely chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- water, to thin
Directions See How It's Made
- In a food processor add 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa and ingredients eggs through salt. Combine for 15 seconds or well incorporated.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the quinoa-bean mixture along with the remaining 1 cup of cooked quinoa and shredded cheese. Stir to combine and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- While quinoa mixture is chilling, prepare avocado sauce. In a blender or food processor, add all ingredients avocado through water, starting with 1/3 cup water and add 1 Tbsp at a time until desired consistency is reached. I added about 1/2 cup for a slightly thick sauce that is spreadable, add more or less to your preference. Set aside.
- In a large skillet*, heat 1/2 tbsp oil or butter over medium heat (oil is divided since you will be cooking in 2 batches). Meanwhile, form 12 patties about a 1/2 in thick (I used a 1/4 measuring cup to divide mixture up evenly, then slightly flatten). Cook for about 6-9 minutes on each side or until browned and a crust is formed. Using a spatula, carefully flip over and cook an additional 6-9 minutes or until browned. Heat remaining 1/2 Tbsp oil or butter in pan and cook remaining patties for about 6-9 minutes on each side or until golden crust is formed.
- Serve with avocado sauce and enjoy!