Recipe by Sue Lau
This potato salad is colorful, flavorful and creamy with a light sweetness and delicious taste of chiles.
Top Review by ellie_
Interesting salad with an unique blend of flavors that went well with grilled chicken. One minor problem I had with the recipe was that although the instructions (step 1) listed the oven temp at 350, in step 4 it mentioned oven temp of 325--I used 350. Balsamic vinegar should be added to the ingredients (used in step 9), but as I had some on hand that didn't create any problems for me. I also subbed 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard for the dijon musard without any problems. Sue, this is the first time I ever roasted garlic and really like learning that technique along with your very detailed and complete instructions. Thanks for sharing!
- 1 lb sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 lb potato, peeled and diced
- 1 lb fresh zucchini, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided (for veggies and potatoes)
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 head garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (for garlic)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced scallion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Cut off the top third of the garlic head so the cloves are exposed.
- Place garlic in a small baking dish or ramekin and drizzle lightly with olive oil.
- Turn garlic cut side down and roast for 60-75 minutes at 325F or until cloves have softened.
- Increase oven temperature to 400°F.
- Lightly oil a large baking sheet and set aside.
- Place russet-type potatoes in a large mixing bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Spread in a flat layer on baking sheet.
- In the same mixing bowl, toss zucchini and sweet potatoes with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar.
- Spread in a flat layer on baking sheet as well.
- Roast vegetables at 400F for 30 minutes, or until tender.
- Allow to cool.
- Squeeze roasted garlic cloves into a large mixing bowl and mash lightly with a fork.
- Add thawed peas, minced sage, honey, scallions, cayenne pepper, dijon mustard, mayonnaise, toasted pine nuts, salt, pepper, chili powder, and cumin to the garlic in the mixing bowl and stir until blended.
- Fold in the roasted vegetables and chopped egg.
- Cover and refrigerate several hours before serving.