Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: Try this yummy cheesy zesty potato casserole! It has all of the southwest flavors I love. It's very comforting and satisfying too. It is super easy to throw together, and uses pantry staples most of us have on hand. I really enjoyed it with tuna, but I think it would be just as good Vegetarian or with cooked chicken, cooked ground beef or cooked sausage. I made this pretty mild, but it can easily be spiced up with fresh or canned jalapenos or added red pepper flakes or hot sauce. Feel free to use reduced-fat cheese.
- 566.99 g bag Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion
- 340.19 g can tuna, drained and flaked (You could make this Vegetarian or use cooked chicken, cooked ground beef, or cooked sausage)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 425.24 g can corn, drained
- 425.24 g can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 113.39 g can diced green chilies
- 59.14 ml pickled jalapeno pepper, chopped (to make it spicier, you can use fresh jalapenos or canned chopped jalapenos)
- 709.77 ml colby-monterey jack cheese, shredded (2 for filling, 1 to top)
- 236.59 ml sour cream
- 177.44 ml salsa, drained (I used Pace chunky mild salsa)
- 59.14 ml cilantro, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 2.46-4.92 ml salt, to taste
- 1-1 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 6 green onions, sliced
- sour cream, to serve
- hot sauce, to serve (we like Tapatio)
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease a 13x9 baking dish.
- Mix together the first 8 ingredients through the first 2 cups of shredded cheese.
- Mix together the sour cream, salsa, cilantro, garlic, cumin and salt and stir into the potato mixture until it's well coated.
- Spread mix into prepared baking dish and top with remaining cup of cheese.
- Bake for 60 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with fresh chopped tomatoes and sliced green onions.
- Can serve right away, but sauce will thicken more if you let it sit 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream and hot sauce. This is really good served alongside a crisp salad.