1 hr 15 mins
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: Try this yummy cheesy zesty potato casserole! It has all of the southwest flavors I love. It's very comforting and satisfying too. It is super easy to throw together, and uses pantry staples most of us have on hand. I really enjoyed it with tuna, but I think it would be just as good Vegetarian or with cooked chicken, cooked ground beef or cooked sausage. I made this pretty mild, but it can easily be spiced up with fresh or canned jalapenos or added red pepper flakes or hot sauce. Feel free to use reduced-fat cheese.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (20 ounce) bag Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion
- 1 (12 ounce) can tuna, drained and flaked (You could make this Vegetarian or use cooked chicken, cooked ground beef, or cooked sausage)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeno pepper, chopped (to make it spicier, you can use fresh jalapenos or canned chopped jalapenos)
- 3 cups colby-monterey jack cheese, shredded (2 for filling, 1 to top)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup salsa, drained (I used Pace chunky mild salsa)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/2-1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- 6 green onions, sliced
- sour cream, to serve
- hot sauce, to serve (we like Tapatio)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F Grease a 13x9 baking dish.
- 2Mix together the first 8 ingredients through the first 2 cups of shredded cheese.
- 3Mix together the sour cream, salsa, cilantro, garlic, cumin and salt and stir into the potato mixture until it's well coated.
- 4Spread mix into prepared baking dish and top with remaining cup of cheese.
- 5Bake for 60 minutes.
- 6Remove from oven and top with fresh chopped tomatoes and sliced green onions.
- 7Can serve right away, but sauce will thicken more if you let it sit 10-15 minutes.
- 8Serve with sour cream and hot sauce. This is really good served alongside a crisp salad.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwest Potato Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (283 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 398.9
- Calories from Fat 196
- Total Fat 21.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 68.8 mg
- Sodium 800.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 27.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion