Recipe by Engrossed
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: Try this yummy cheesy zesty potato casserole! It has all of the southwest flavors I love. It's very comforting and satisfying too. It is super easy to throw together, and uses pantry staples most of us have on hand. I really enjoyed it with tuna, but I think it would be just as good Vegetarian or with cooked chicken, cooked ground beef or cooked sausage. I made this pretty mild, but it can easily be spiced up with fresh or canned jalapenos or added red pepper flakes or hot sauce. Feel free to use reduced-fat cheese.
- 1 (20 ounce) bag Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion
- 1 (12 ounce) can tuna, drained and flaked (You could make this Vegetarian or use cooked chicken, cooked ground beef, or cooked sausage)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1⁄4 cup pickled jalapeno pepper, chopped (to make it spicier, you can use fresh jalapenos or canned chopped jalapenos)
- 3 cups colby-monterey jack cheese, shredded (2 for filling, 1 to top)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup salsa, drained (I used Pace chunky mild salsa)
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄2-1 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 6 green onions, sliced
- sour cream, to serve
- hot sauce, to serve (we like Tapatio)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease a 13x9 baking dish.
- Mix together the first 8 ingredients through the first 2 cups of shredded cheese.
- Mix together the sour cream, salsa, cilantro, garlic, cumin and salt and stir into the potato mixture until it's well coated.
- Spread mix into prepared baking dish and top with remaining cup of cheese.
- Bake for 60 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with fresh chopped tomatoes and sliced green onions.
- Can serve right away, but sauce will thicken more if you let it sit 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream and hot sauce. This is really good served alongside a crisp salad.