1/1 Photo of Southwest Polenta and Vegetables
This sounded very yummy, all the right ingredients for our tastes, though I haven't cooked with polenta yet. Well...here goes! From 'Fitness' magazine, September 2008. NOTE: This recipe calls for mushrooms, which I hate, but being true to the recipe as written, I have included them here. But I won't use them ever...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 lb button mushroom
- 3 small zucchini, 1/2-inch cube (or julienne-cut)
- 1 red bell pepper, julienne-cut
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher sea salt
- 2 cups corn (frozen or fresh)
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (~1/3 teaspoon dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (18 ounce) polenta (in pre-packaged "log")
- 2 cups shredded romano cheese
- cooked spinach (optional)
- 1Chop onion, mushrooms (if using), zucchini and pepper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat oil in large pan.
- 2Saute onion and garlic with 1/2 teaspoon salt for about 2 minutes, or until just soft. Add mushrooms, zucchini and red pepper; saute for ~3 minutes.
- 3Add corn, black beans, tomatoes, thyme, chile powder, cumin, pepper and remaining salt; simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until fresh vegetables are crisp-cooked, not soft. While the vegetables cook, lightly oil the bottom of a casserole dish.
- 4Slice polenta into 1/2 -inch rounds and arrange across the bottom of the casserole dish. When vegetables are cooked but not soft, spoon across top of polenta.
- 5Top with grated cheese and bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- 6Serve plain or on a bed of wilted spinach.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwest Polenta and Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (359 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 7
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 669.3
- Calories from Fat 211
- Total Fat 23.4 g
- Saturated Fat 11.9 g
- Cholesterol 67.5 mg
- Sodium 1317.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.2 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 34.3 g