Recipe by my3beachbabes
These crunchy chips are great with chili, soup, dip, or by themselves.
Top Review by *Pixie*
Spicy and crispy good! You can't stop eating these! I scaled the recipe down to make a smaller amount as an appy and they were gone before they could cool. When I checked at 6 minutes, the cheese looked kind of melty (I may have put on a bit too much), so I cooked without flipping and they turned out fine. Made for PAC Fall 2009.
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 12 (10 inch) pita bread
- 8 ounces extra-sharp yellow cheddar cheese, shredded (3 cups loosely packed)
Directions See How It's Made
- Arrange oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat to 350°F Line 2 large shallow baking sheets with foil.
- In small bowl, stir together vegetable oil, chili powder, cumin, and cayenne. Lay 1 pita round on cutting board. Brush both sides with oil mixture and sprinkle one side with 1/4 cup Cheddar.
- Cut into 6 triangles and place, cheese side up, on baking sheet. Repeat with 5 more pitas (3 pitas per sheet).
- Bake 6 minutes. Remove pans from oven, turn chips over with tongs, and bake until golden and crisp, about 3 to 4 minutes more. Transfer crisps to a rack and let cool.
- Repeat process with remaining pitas. Store airtight at room temperature up to one month.