Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Bean soup Southwestern style. Easy and hearty. Perfect for a cold night.
- 1 lb dried pinto bean
- 3 quarts water
- 2 lbs ham bone (with meat)
- 1 onion, cut into 8ths
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons spike seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 peppercorns
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 small dried chili, crushed
- 1 cup long grain rice
- Soak beans for 2 hours, then drain.
- Combine beans with 3 quarts water, soup bones, onion, garlic, salt, spike seasoning, and bouquet garni.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to simmer.
- Let simmer for 80 minutes, then add the rice.
- Let simmer until ham and beans are tender and rice is cooked (40 minutes).
- Discard bouquet garni and bones.
- Cut up the meat and return it to the soup.
- Reheat and serve with flatbread.