Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Adapted from Barefeet in the Kitchen
Make and share this Southwest Pan Fried Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 -6 chicken drumsticks, depending on size (I prefer smaller pieces)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- In a small bowl, stir together all of the spices. Pour the oil into a large stainless or cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Generously sprinkle the chicken all over with the spices. Use your hands to rub it into the skin. Place the chicken in the hot skillet, skin side down. Cook uncovered* for about 20-25 minutes. Let the pieces cook until the fat has rendered and the skin is deep golden brown and crisp; this could take as long as 30 minutes. Reduce the heat as needed if the skin starts to burn before it is evenly golden brown.
- (If you are cooking drumsticks, I like to cook them for 15-20 minutes, then turn a third of the way over and cook another 15 minutes and then turn the final third of the way over and let them finish cooking for about 15 minutes more.) When the meat closest to the bone is cooked through, the chicken is done. Enjoy!