Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Found this in the Dallas Morning News and wanted to save. This recipes uses healthy pasta and reduced-fat ingredients.
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) boxbarillaplus rotini pasta
- 1 tablespoon lime peel, finely grated
- 3 tablespoons lime juice, fresh
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half (or grape tomatoes)
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, made with 2 percent milk, finely shredded
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 medium green onions, sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies, drained
- 1 (1 ounce) packet ranch dressing mix, use 1/2 package
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup light sour cream
- Cook pasta according to directions on the package. Rinse with cold water to cool and drain .
- In a small bowl whisk together the ranch salad dressing mix, buttermilk, fat-free milk, light mayo and light sour cream. Stir in lime juice, lime peel and taco seasoning mix.
- In a large bowl, toss the cooked pasta with tomatoes, beans, cheese, green onions and green chilies. Pour dressing mixture over the salad and toss gently to mix.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Thank you for saving and posting this recipe! It was just what I was looking for. Husband bought similar salad at local grocery and loved it. I said, I can make that! Searched for a recipe that I thought was similar and used this one. Couple of adjustments made -- added grilled chicken to use this as a picinic 'meal'. The salad also needed salt and a bit more acid - lime mixed in. (used 1 lime in the dressing = 3 TBL -- and then added one more lime the next day.) I made this up 1 night ahead of time and the dressing really soaked into the pasta. I may use a bit more milk or buttermilk next time and see if the consistency is any different. There will be a next time. Thanks again! PS. This makes a LOT -- it makes a huge bowl to feed to a large family or picnic.