Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 mins
From Southern Living. Marinate 2 hours.
- 2 pints fresh select oysters, drained
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- vegetable oil
- Combine oysters and buttermilk in a large heavy-duty zip-lock plastic freezer bag.
- Seal bag and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Drain oysters well.
- In a shallow pan, combine the flour and next 9 ingredients.
- Dredge oysters in flour mixture; shake off excess.
- Pour oil to a depth of 1 inch in a Dutch oven; heat to 370°.
- Fry oysters in batches, 3 minutes or until golden; drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately.
Great recipe! Nice and crispy. Thanks for posting.
The best!!! And couldn't have been easier. I enjoy these oysters with cocktail sauce, tartar sauce, and a squeeze of lemon. They're terrific in po'boys, too.