Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This rub and be used on all cuts of beef, but is especially good on the flat iron cut.
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (packed)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb flat iron steak
- Combine all ingredients (except steak) in a small bowl.
- Press rub evenly onto flat iron steaks. Let set for 1- 2 hours.
- Grill over hot fire, turning often to avoid burning, being careful not to overcook.
- Cut across the grain.
Outstanding!!! Flat iron steak is one of my favorite cuts and this rub is fabulous. My husband just couldn't stop raving about it! Thanks!
I am lovin' this recipe. I never heard of a flat iron steak so I had to ask the guy behind the meat counter what it was. He showed me a package and said it is one of the most tender cuts of steak that you could find. That had me sold. I followed this recipe exactly as written. The rub was out of this world, and the steak was just as the meat man said...it was the most tender and juiciest steak I have ever had. I cooked it to a nice medium rare and was rewarded with the best steak ever...either made at home or at a restaurant. This is going straight into the keeper file. Thanks, BakinBaby! Made for Summer, 2009 Photo Tag. Update: This recipe is in my Top Favorites of 2009 Cookbook.
Love the spicy sweetness of this rub! My flat iron steak was not as tender as other reviewers....so I will probably go with another cut of meat for future use (or perhaps 'pound' the flat iron steak before grilling). My BF thought the brown sugar could be cut back on as he found it a bit too sweet. I suppose he and I will just have to agree to disagree on that point, as I loved everything about the flavor! Thank you for sharing this fabulous recipe.