1/1 Photo of Southwest Drunken Meatball Soup (Abondigas Borrachas Sopa)
3 hrs 20 mins
This is a hearty soup that could be the star of the meal or the meal itself. Very tasty. The chipotle in adobo can be found on the Latin aisles in most markets. CAUTION: use only 2 chipotle chilis NOT two cans of chile. The ale used in this recipe should be a dark ale or a hearty lager. I used Mississippi Mud Black and Tan--it was the only ale we had stashed in our "party emergency" refrigerator in the garage. I tasted a sip and decided, "hey, this isn't bad." I used one pint in the recipe and tasted two more pints while cooking. All the pints turned out to be delicious! Hic! Don't worry, the alcohol will cook away in the crock pot, but if you choose, taste your ale while cooking. Created for RSC #12 Contest.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 pint dark beer
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 15 1/4 ounces canned black beans
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1 g Sweet 'n Low
- 1Mix the first five ingredients.
- 2Shape into balls. This will make 12-14 large meatballs. If you like smaller, it should make about 24 meatballs. Caution: the meat will be sticky. Don't worry.
- 3PLace meatballs on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. The meatballs will be dry looking, but that's okay. They will moisten in the soup.
- 4Drain and rinse black beans.
- 5Add oregano, ale, rotel, black beans, pepper, meatballs, chicken broth, tomato sauce, and sweet and low to crock pot.
- 6Dice the chipotle chilis. Caution: if you like spicy, use 2-3 chilis. If you like mild, use only one.
- 7Cook in crock pot on LOW for 3 hours.
- 8Ladle into soup bowls.
- 9Garnish with a dollop of sour cream, sprig of cilantro, and a couple of tostada chips.
- 10Open your last dark ale and drink.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwest Drunken Meatball Soup (Abondigas Borrachas Sopa)
Serving Size: 1 (405 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 505.0
- Calories from Fat 124
- Total Fat 13.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 142.5 mg
- Sodium 1411.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.8 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 36.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo