Recipe by Pinay0618
My kids don't care much for refried beans. I thought this recipe might be a good side dish alternative when we have tacos. From verybestbaking.com.
Top Review by Chef*Lee
This is good! Light, airy, and good flavor! I added all the cheese to the mix rather than put it on top and I baked for only 45 minutes. Turned out great!!! Thanks for posting!!!!!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 (11 ounce) can Mexican-style corn, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, divided (shredded)
Directions See How It's Made
- PREHEAT oven to 325°F Grease 1 1/2-quart baking dish. Chill small mixer bowl.
- MELT butter in large saucepan. Remove from heat. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in evaporated milk and water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes just to a boil. Stir in corn, chiles, egg yolks and 1/2 cup cheese. Beat egg whites in chilled mixer bowl until stiff peaks form. Fold into corn mixture. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- BAKE for 50 to 55 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Top with remaining cheese. Bake for additional 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese is melted.