Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I didn't have any idea what to do with the chuck steaks in my freezer so I read a few recipes here and on other sites and came up with this. I served it on rice and it was quite tasty...DH gave it two thumbs up! I prefer the Rotel brand tomatoes and for the beef base you can't beat the Better than Bouillon brand.
- 2 lbs chuck steaks
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon beef base or 1 beef bouillon cube
- Trim large areas of fat from steak and remove any bones.
- Mix flour and salt and pepper on a plate.
- Heat oil in frying pan. Dredge steak in flour and place in heated pan.
- Brown steak on both sides and place in the bottom of crock pot.
- In the same pan, place onion and garlic, stir and then sprinkle with sugar. Fry until browned and caramelized. Place on top of steak in crock pot.
- Mix water and beef base or bouillon and pour over the steak and onions.
- Pour can of tomatoes over the top of the steak.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Serve over white or brown rice.
Excellent recipe for lovers of hot and spicy dishes. I had less than 2 lbs. of steak so I added a can of sliced mushrooms to the dish. Really good! Made for My-3-Chefs June 2012.
This was delicious my whole family enjoyed it. Was easy enough to throw together before work. I ran out of rotels so i used a can of whole tomatoes that i crushed with my fingers and added a can of green chilis. A keeper in my house. Thanks