Recipe by QueenJellyBean
I didn't have any idea what to do with the chuck steaks in my freezer so I read a few recipes here and on other sites and came up with this. I served it on rice and it was quite tasty...DH gave it two thumbs up! I prefer the Rotel brand tomatoes and for the beef base you can't beat the Better than Bouillon brand.
Top Review by linguinelisa
Excellent recipe for lovers of hot and spicy dishes. I had less than 2 lbs. of steak so I added a can of sliced mushrooms to the dish. Really good! Made for My-3-Chefs June 2012.
- 2 lbs chuck steaks
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon beef base or 1 beef bouillon cube
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim large areas of fat from steak and remove any bones.
- Mix flour and salt and pepper on a plate.
- Heat oil in frying pan. Dredge steak in flour and place in heated pan.
- Brown steak on both sides and place in the bottom of crock pot.
- In the same pan, place onion and garlic, stir and then sprinkle with sugar. Fry until browned and caramelized. Place on top of steak in crock pot.
- Mix water and beef base or bouillon and pour over the steak and onions.
- Pour can of tomatoes over the top of the steak.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Serve over white or brown rice.