Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Adjust the chiles to your taste: add as many as you can tolerate! :)
- 1360.77 g chicken legs with thigh
- 177.44 ml milk
- 3 canned chipotle chiles
- 6 clove garlic, minced
- 2.46 ml ground cumin
- 2.46 ml onion powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 29.58 ml butter or 29.58 ml margarine
- 22.18 ml flour
- 118.29 ml heavy cream
- 59.14 ml sour cream
- 226.79 g queso cheese, grated (monterrey jack ok)
- minced chipotle chile (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place chicken in an ovenproof baking dish, and place in preheated oven, and bake for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine milk, canned chipotles, garlic, cumin, onion powder, and salt in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- Heat butter and flour in a large skillet and blend until smooth; add heavy cream and sour cream, whisking until smooth.
- Stir in chipotle puree, and stir constantly until mixture comes to a boil and thickens; remove from heat.
- After chicken has baked 25 minutes, remove from oven and drain any fat.
- Pour chipotle cream over chicken and top with grated queso cheese.
- Replace chicken in oven and bake for about 20 minutes more, or until cheese just starts to brown.
- Remove from oven and serve with extra sauce spooned over chicken and garnished with minced chipotle chiles, if desired.
- Goes good with steamed rice (and extra sauce on top).
I am a native New Mexican and (embarrassingly) have never cooked with chipotle chiles. I tried this recipe and found it outstanding...my husband came in from work and said "something smells awesome", and my teenage boys loved it. After I made the first batch of sauce, I immediately made a 2nd batch. This is a perfect blend of spiciness, garlic and creaminess. Next time I will decrease the cumin by half (not a big fan of cumin, but it is beautiful in the sauce), and use boneless skinless chicken breasts; will also try this as a pasta sauce with grilled chicken breasts. This sauce can be used multiple ways. Thank you so much for a wonderful recipe!
I made this with cut up chicken pieces. What a beautiful color it turns out to be. I would love to make this for company. It looks very elegant. Thanks.
So wonderful! This dish makes your tastebuds utterly happy! I make this for my family at least once a month. This goes great with #33161 Tex-Mex Rice. It is better than going out for Mexican food. Just make extra sauce when you make this recipe and smother the rice in it. For leftovers I put Tex-Mex rice in a ziploc then a piece of chicken and pour a little sauce over all and freeze. Makes great individual meals.