Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this recipe back when we lived in Chicago from a co-worker and it is so delicious. With Fall coming up, I started thinking of all of my "Fall" comfort foods, and this was the first one to pop into my head. Hope you all enjoy it as much as I do.
- 3 lbs chicken pieces, skinned
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 16 white pearl onions
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces smoked sausage
- 2 cups new potatoes, halved
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 2 cups zucchini, sliced
- 2 cups yellow squash, sliced
- 1 (8 3/4 ounce) can whole corn, drained
- chopped cilantro
- In a large zip-lock bag, coat chicken with 1/4 cup flour.
- Brown chicken in a dutch oven in hot olive oil.
- Remove and set aside, drain drippings except 1 teaspoons Saute 1 Tbls.
- flour and garlic in drippings for 30 seconds, add next ten ingredients starting with broth and ending with red pepper flakes.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Add chicken and sausage.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes more.
- Skim excess fat.
- Add vegetables and simmer covered for 30- 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cilantro before serving.