Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This was given to me by my sister in law, and it's become a family favorite
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces boneless chicken breasts, cut up
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) canundrained corn kernels
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Mexican-style tomatoes
- 18 inches corn tortillas, halved and cut in to strips
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Heat oil to medium in large soup pot.
- Brown meat, onion, garlic and spices.
- Add all canned ingredients and bring to low boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Bake Tortillas at 450 degrees on baking sheet for 5 minutes - watch carefully so as not to burn.
- Place a pile of chips in soup bowl. Ladle in soup, top with sour cream and cheese.
Great soup! I omitted the salt and used some salsa as I was out of tomatoes. The flavor was wonderful. Thanks for sharing! Edited to add: I tried it again with tomatoes, as directed, and it was excellent again. I love how quick and simple this is to prepare!
Delicious and fast! I used rotisserie chicken (2 breasts) and frozen corn as I didn't have canned. There are only 3 of us and we like leftovers, so next time I'll double it and maybe add a little more chicken broth. It was low on liquid partially because I didn't have canned corn liquid but I also may have used more chicken than 8oz.
I have won so many "cook offs" with this recipe (at work, clubs, etc.). Everyone wants the recipe. It's so simple and easy. Don't scrimp on the cumin. I add condiments of: lime wedges, cubed Monterey Jack cheese, cilantro, sour cream (or plain yoghurt), sliced avacadoes, and chipotle chiles in adobo. A family fav, for sure!