Recipe by Sharbysyd
Chicken and veggies on top of a pita. I saw this recipe on the Biggest Loser Workout #2 video. This recipe can also be made vegetarian by skipping the chicken and sauteing the bean in the Mexican seasoning and garlic powder for a few minutes.
Top Review by pammyowl
Delicious! I used plain hummus and no red pepper, personal preference only, and I did put the guac on top of the hummus.otherwise followed the recipe. A great lunch, thanks for posting! Made for PAC 2013
- 1 teaspoon Mexican seasoning or 1 teaspoon southwest seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 small boneless chicken breast
- 1 whole wheat pita bread
- 2 tablespoons hummus, preferably red pepper flavor
- 2 tablespoons canned black beans, drained
- 3 red onion strips
- 3 slices red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded light cheddar cheese
- 4 teaspoons guacamole or 4 teaspoons fat free sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 450*.
- Sprinkle the seasoning and garlic powder over the chicken and grill the chicken on high heat until it's no longer pink - about 3-5 min per side. Transfer to cutting board. Let sit 5 min and chop into bite sized pieces.
- Take pita and grill 1-2 min each side until toasted then remove and put on a baking sheet.
- Spread hummus on pita and then layer with beans, chicken, onion, red pepper, tomato, cilantro and cheese.
- Bake 6-8 min until cheese is melted, let stand 5 minutes. Top with guacamole or sour cream.
- Slice in wedges and serve.