Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Wonderful chicken casserole without the use of cream soup. Yumyumyummy dinner in about 30 minutes.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- salt, to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, sauté chicken breasts in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil for 2 minutes each side; remove.
- Add remaining olive oil to skillet and sauté onions, garlic and green chilies. Cook, stirring occasionally until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, red wine vinegar and all the seasonings. Cover and simmer about 5 minutes.
- Add black beans and cook 5 minutes more.
- Layer chicken breasts in a medium casserole dish. Top with black bean mixture and sprinkle with cheeses.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.