Prep 25 mins
Cook 55 mins
Another recipe from my catering biz, it's a big hit at weddings. Requested frequently. You'll find with my recipes a plethora of chicken recipes, my husband has a very high iron content and can't eat anything except for chicken and turkey. Hope you like this one, it's made to serve 16, 1.5 cup servings.
- 2 (10 ounce) packages lasagna noodles
- cottage cheese, mixture
- 4 eggs
- 6 cups fat-free cottage cheese
- 2⁄3 cup chopped parsley
- 6 tablespoons canned diced green chili peppers
- lasagna noodle
- 2 cups chopped onions (I use dry)
- 2 sweet red peppers, chopped (green is fine also)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (4 tsp. canned)
- 4 (10 3/4 ounce) cans condensed tomato soup
- 2 (10 ounce) cans enchilada sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 cups cooked chicken breasts, torn into bite-size pieces (you can use canned)
- 3 cups finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups finely shredded monterey jack cheese
- Cook noodles according to directions, drain and set aside.
- For the cottage cheese mixture, mix all ingredients and set aside.
- To make the lasagna: Lightly spray a dutch oven with cooking spray, add onions, peppers and garlic. Cook and stir until tender.
- Stir in the soup, enchilada sauce, chili powder, cumin and black pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Lightly spray 2 13x9 pans, with no stick spray.
- To assemble, cover bottom with lasagna noodles, 1/4 of cottage cheese next, then 1/4 of sauce mix, 2 cups of chicken and 1/4 each of cheddar and Monterey jack cheeses. Repeat with next layer.
- Cover pan with foil; repeat with second pan, cover that pan with foil also.
- Place both pans in the oven and bake for 55 minutes. Let stand 20 minutes before cutting and placing in containers, and or serving.
I have made this twice now and it has turned out great each time - especially if your family likes mexican flavor! I used canned chicken and no-boil lasagna noodles. The second time I made this, my husband asked me to increase the cheese a bit so I used 6 cups of mexican blend shredded cheese. I also used orange and yellow sweet peppers instead of red / green and that worked well too.
This was very filling and pretty tasty; one pan fed 3 people well for two meals. I made only one pan of the lasagna, as that's all the chicken I had. I was missing the green chilis, but substituted some queso blanco with jalapenos for some of the cottage cheese to give it some kick. I didn't bother to cook the noodles first, just added a bit extra water to the sauce and they came out fine.