Prep 1 hr
Cook 55 mins
A new yummy twist to lasagna with a little Southwestern flair. Make it as spicy as you like..
- 1 (16 ounce) package lasagna noodles
- 2 eggs
- 24 ounces small curd cottage cheese
- chopped parsley (optional)
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chili peppers, chopped
- jalapeno pepper (just enough to give a zip, chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 -6 chicken breasts, cooked and cut up into bite-sized pieces
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese or 8 ounces monterey jack cheese
- red peppers (optional) or yellow pepper, cut in rings sliced thin (optional)
- Make lasagne noodles as directed and drain and set aside.
- Make cottage cheese mixture by stirring together the eggs, cottage cheese, parsley and a black pepper.
- Set aside.
- To make the chicken mixture: In a large skillet, put a little margarine or oil to coat bottom.
- then add onions, red and green peppers, and garlic and cook and stir over medium heat until tender.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, enchilada sauce, chili powder, cumin, black pepper, green chilis, and jalepenos.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, for about 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Put on low and and cover and the chicken to it.
- stir and allow the flavors to come together.
- Do this for about another 15- 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat and let sit.
- Lightly spray a 13 x 9 baking or cake pan.
- To assemble the lasagna, place a little of the sauce on the bottom to coat the pan.
- Then place about 4 or 5 lasagne noodles down first.
- Then spread half of the cottage cheese mixture over the noodles.
- Top with about half of the chicken/sauce mixture, and cover with each of the cheeses separately.
- Repeat with noodles, remaining cottage cheese mixture, and chicken/sauce.
- then more cheese.
- Leave just enough sauce and cheese to cover the third and final layer of noodles.
- So you put the remaining noodles on top with a coating of sauce and remainder of cheese.
- Then you place the thin slices of red, yellow, or green pepper for garnish.
- Bake about 50 minutes or until bubbly.
- Let stand 10- 15 minutes before cutting and serving.
- The oven should be preheated to 350 degrees.
This was a great recipe! It took a long time to make but it was delicious!
this is very good for pot lucks or just a different twist
Glad you enjoyed the lasagne.. I'm making it for dinner for a group of 22 tonight for dinner.. Yummy!