Recipe by Mika G.
This is a wonderful stew for those cold winter months. You can also add other toppings like sour cream and cheese.
Top Review by Kimmysue
We get a soup like this one from Togos (sandwich shop in California). My son loves it so when I found this one I tweeked it slightly by taking the corn out and adding 2 can cheddar cheese soup and a can of tomato sauce. Its perfect. I canned 6 quarts. Thanks !
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 1⁄4 cups fat free chicken broth
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 12 tortilla chips, coarsely crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim fat from chicken. Cut chicken into cubes. Heat 1/2 of the broth to boiling in Dutch oven. Cook chicken in broth about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until white. Remove chicken from broth with slotted spoon.
- Cook garlic and chilies in broth in Dutch oven over medium-high heat 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in flour. Cook over low heat 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in remaining broth.
- Stir in chicken and remaining ingredients except cornstarch, water and tortilla chips. Heat to boiling then reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink in center.
- Mix cornstarch and cold water; stir into stew. Cook, stirring frequently, until heated through and thickened. Serve sprinkled with tortilla chips.