Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
An extremely flavorful way to combine chicken and the ever growing popularity of black beans. Lots of flavor and a great thick broth. Its very healthy for you too! Serve with Crunchy Strips.
- 453.59 g boneless skinless chicken breast, strips
- 425.24 g can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (595.33 g) can chicken broth
- 3 (1275.72 g) can black beans
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 small onion
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 6-8 slice jalapeno peppers (the pickled kind from a jar)
- 29.58 ml margarine
- season salt (I used Emeril's Southwest)
- 1 bay leaf
- 0.25 ml tarragon
- 0.25 ml oregano
- 0.25 ml cinnamon
- In a medium sized skillet cook chicken that's been seasoned with seasoned salt until done and no longer pink.
- Dice and set aside.
- Finely chop bell peppers, onion and jalapeño slices in food processor or by hand if you like larger pieces.
- Combine all peppers, onion and jalapeño and add lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
- Melt margarine in a large stock pot.
- Sauté pepper and onion mixture until soft.
- Add can of crushed tomatoes, stirring.
- Add three cans of black beans, undrained.
- Add chicken to pot, stirring carefully; then add chicken broth to soup and stir.
- Next, add bay leaf, about a teaspoon of season salt, tarragon and cinnamon.
- Let simmer until flavors are combined and peppers and onion are soft and tender about one hour, or until it smells so good you cannot wait.
- Serve with Recipe #43730.
This soup is spicy and delicious! I didn't change anything except to add two cans of diced tomatoes (I just like lots of them!) instead of one. For the seasoning salt I used Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning - yum - this kicked up the heat a bit - perfect! My only complaint is that the recipe didn't make enough - will probably double next time. And I haven't tried it with the "Crunchy Strips" yet - I will really be hooked on it then!! Thanks, CV7!!
This was the BEST soup I've ever made! It was so hearty and delicious. It was loved by all who ate it. I added some cilantro at the end, which really added a lot of flavor. RUN out and buy the ingredients for this one! Also you MUST make the "crunchy strips" to go with it. Those will be a common thing around my house now, even if Im not making this soup. Yet I don't see how I'll have one and not want the other!
This was excellent soup. Thought you might like to know I made this as the soup du jour in the restaurant today to rave reviews. I made a couple of minor changes: fresh jalapenos instead of pickled, blackening seasoning on the chicken and I also cut up a couple of corn tortillas and added them. Very Good. I will definitely make again.