An extremely flavorful way to combine chicken and the ever growing popularity of black beans. Lots of flavor and a great thick broth. Its very healthy for you too! Serve with Crunchy Strips.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, strips
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 3 (15 ounce) cans black beans
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 small onion
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 -8 slices jalapeno peppers (the pickled kind from a jar)
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- season salt (I used Emeril's Southwest)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch tarragon
- 1 pinch oregano
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- In a medium sized skillet cook chicken that's been seasoned with seasoned salt until done and no longer pink.
- Dice and set aside.
- Finely chop bell peppers, onion and jalapeño slices in food processor or by hand if you like larger pieces.
- Combine all peppers, onion and jalapeño and add lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
- Melt margarine in a large stock pot.
- Sauté pepper and onion mixture until soft.
- Add can of crushed tomatoes, stirring.
- Add three cans of black beans, undrained.
- Add chicken to pot, stirring carefully; then add chicken broth to soup and stir.
- Next, add bay leaf, about a teaspoon of season salt, tarragon and cinnamon.
- Let simmer until flavors are combined and peppers and onion are soft and tender about one hour, or until it smells so good you cannot wait.
- Serve with Recipe #43730.