Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I was looking for somthing different with chicken for Soup Time after church and found this in one of my mothers cookbooks. It went over great. To make cooking time go faster on Sunday morning I prepare everything the night before.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 cups water
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley, med
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, chopped, drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- Saute onion and garlic in oil.
- Add the next 10 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 45 minute.
- Stir in chicken cook 15 minutes more.
I really loved this soup. I have an impossible time following any recipe so am sure that over the several times I have made this I have added chipotle peppers, zucchini, bell peppers, more beans, etc., to the mix, topped with avocado and cheese. Absolutely love it and it's a favorite request of my beloved.
Great soup, very filling. Love the addition of the barley. This is similar to the famous "taco soup" we all know and love, but the addition of the barley and rinsing & draining the black beans beforehand makes this a healthier choice. This one is definitely going into my regular rotation.