Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a recipe from Everyday Food magazine. Definitely a go to recipe for a light and easy dinner in the summer, lunch, or to take for pot-lucks and BBQs. I always get asked for the recipe. Serves 4 as a main dish and 8 as a side dish.
- 1 cup brown rice or 1 cup white rice, long grain
- 1 rotisserie-cooked chicken, shredded (about 4 cups)
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 plum tomatoes, seeds removed and diced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno, seeds and ribs removed, minced
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- Cook rice according to package directions. Spread on a baking sheet, refrigerate until cool.
- Place cooled rice in a large bowl, add chicken, beans, tomatoes, green onions, jalapeno, vinegar, oil, and cumin.
- Season with salt and pepper, toss to combine.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate up to one day.
great for pot-luck, we didn't have any leftover. It's important to use plum, tomatoes, they are easier to seed and firm enough to hold up in the salad. Cut the tomato into quarters lengthwise, it makes it easier to scoop out all the seeds.